SPOUSE & COMMON-LAW
If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you can sponsor your family to become to Canada as permanent residents.
The principal applicant of spousal Sponsorship may be eligible to apply for an open work permit when applicant submit permanent resident application and able to work once he/she receive work permit.
Spouse(Common-law) sponsorship requires an undertaking of financial responsibility for a spouse(Common-law) for three years.
Eligibility to become a sponsor:
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- At least 18 years old
- Not a recipient of social assistance for a reason than a disability
- Not in a state of bankruptcy
- Able to prove having enough income to provide basic needs for the spouse for three years
Canadian citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their parents and grandparents to immigrate to Canada as Canadian permanent residents. Potential sponsors are encouraged to complete and submit the form as quickly as possible, as IRCC will only accept 27,000 submissions on a first-in basis.
Potential sponsors are reminded that:
- The interest to sponsor form is not an application, but a mechanism to inform IRCC you are interested in sponsoring your parents or grandparents.
- A digital copy of your proof of status in Canada document will need to be uploaded in order to submit the 2019 interest to sponsor form. This digital copy must include both sides (front and back) of the status in Canada document, if applicable, and cannot exceed 2.5 MB. Potential sponsors should prepare this ahead of the form becoming available.
- The onus is on potential sponsors to ensure they are eligible to sponsor before submitting an interest to sponsor form. This includes making sure that you meet the minimum necessary income requirements.
- All duplicate submissions will be removed. If you make a mistake on your submission, please do not submit a new one. Instructions on what to do if you make a mistake on your submission can be found on IRCC’s website.
- If you successfully submit an interest to sponsor form, you will see a confirmation screen with a confirmation number on it. Please keep this number for your records.
KEEP IN TOUCH
4773 Yonge Street, Unit 5J
Toronto, Ontario M2N 0G2